One of the lesser-known facts about traveling abroad is that you will not be able to access your voicemail the usual way, as short telephone numbers only tend to work in the UK. To be able to access your voicemail from abroad, you will need to call a different number as well as have an access PIN set up, and this PIN will need to be set up before you leave. Here’s how to set up your PIN, depending on your network:
If you're on O2:
- First of all, you will need to set up a PIN - you will be prompted to do so the first time you call 901, or if your phone’s been reset.
- If you have forgotten your PIN, you can reset it at any time by texting RESET to 802901. You’ll be sent a temporary PIN, which you’ll need to change before you can listen to your messages. Please note that you can change your PIN any time by calling 901, pressing *, choosing option 4 and following the instructions for setting up a PIN. Just remember to do it while in the UK.
- To access your voicemail from abroad, you will need to call your personal O2 voicemail retrieval phone number. If you don’t know what your personal O2 voicemail retrieval phone number is, you can get it very easily by calling O2 on +44 (0)7802 090100. When prompted, enter your O2 mobile number and the system will send it to you in text message. Easy peasy!
- You will then need to call this number (remember to use the +44 prefix if you are calling from abroad (for example: 071 2345 6789 becomes +44 71 2345 6789) and enter your actual mobile number followed by *. Then simply press * followed by your PIN, then press 2. Ta daaa!
If you're on Vodafone:
- Before you travel, you will need to set up a PIN. This can be done by calling 121 from your Vodafone phone. Choose option 4, then option 2 and follow the instructions to choose your 4-digit PIN.
- If you already have a PIN but have forgotten it, or if you get it wrong three times in a row and your voicemail gets locked, call Vodafone’s customer services on 191 free from your Vodafone phone in the UK or +44 7836 191 191 from abroad to get it reset.
- Then simply call +44 7836 121 121 to access your voicemail from abroad. You will be prompted for your PIN before you can access your messages.